Friday 18 September 2009

The End of the Surrey People

"I'm watching you. I am the fox in your trap. I'm watching you. I am the wife you would slap ..." So begins The End of the Surrey People by Vic Godard. A song that Vic has said "came from a bizarre dream I had at the time the trouble in Yugoslavia started off with Slovenia and Croatia breaking away and somehow I was thinking what it would be like if that kind of thing happened in Surrey." It would be the title track of his wonderful 1993 LP on Postcard Records, the last of the punk independents. A record that sort of started when Vic felt inspired to start songwriting again after reading an obituary of Johnny Thunders. This would appear as part of the short-lived Rough Trade Singles Club.

1 comment:

  1. Indeed a great album. 'Nullify My Reputation' is probably my favourite ever Vic Godard song.

    ReplyDelete